Chronic Dry Skin
What is Chronic Dry Skin?
Chronic dry skin is just that, skin that is chronically dry, itchy, and irritated. It can affect any part of the body.
If you have dry skin that develops into a rash you should visit your doctor for a proper diagnosis, as you may be suffering from eczema or another form of dermatitis.
Causes of Chronic Dry Skin
There can be many causes of chronic dry skin. Sometimes chronic dry skin is hereditary and sometimes it can be brought on by external conditions such as dry or cold weather, stress, over cleansing or contact with skin irritants to name only a few.
Factors that can contribute to chronic dry skin include:
- In door heating, cold, dry weather
- Over exposure to the sun
- Skincare products containing alcohol or fragrance (choose fragrance-free skin products)
- Baths or showers where the water is too hot
- Soaps and washes containing sulfates or aggressive cleansers
Tips for Keeping Skin Healthy and Happy
To keep skin healthy and happy, a gentle cleansing regime and daily use of products that provide not just temporary moisture but barrier protection should be used. The following tips may help ensure healthy, happy skin:
- Avoid skincare products containing alcohol or fragrance
- Use a sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun
- Use mild sulfate-free cleanser and ensure all soap residue is rinsed away
- Use a rich emollient barrier cream that locks in moisture
- Re-apply a barrier cream after each bathing
- Avoid hot baths or showers, and moisturize right away.
Refer to our watch list for other ingredients to watch out for.